Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Maybelline Color Elixir in Vision in Violet 040

I have a problem... it's lip products.  More specifically, I am constantly searching for fun colored lip products.

Maybelline released their Color Elixirs about a month ago.  They have a decent range of colors and go for around $8.99 depending on if you go to certain drug stores and/or Ulta.

Maybelline claims that the product is "hyper-saturated color" and "ultra cushiony feel."  The product is set up as a very pigmented gloss that doesn't quite have all the properties of a liquid lipstick, but does have the pigmentation associated with it.  The packaging itself is super cute.  The product is shaped like lipstick in a clear tube, which I really appreciated.

When I opened this up, I noticed two things.  The first was that the applicator was really cool.  It's a teardrop shaped doe foot applicator that makes putting the product on super easy.  The second was that the smell was something awful.  It smelled like a very strong, artificial grape that took awhile getting used to when applying it.  It's probably the first makeup product I've really put on and had it bother me to the point that I was having second thoughts about putting the product on my face.

When swatching it, I could see that this was certainly a very pigmented gloss.  It's also super slick and catches the light easily.  I will admit that when I put it on my arm, I wasn't entirely happy with the violet as it appeared on my skin.  I went into it expecting a super purple option, but I should be aware by now that purple lip products are not going to be easily accessible at a drugstore level.


Application of this product went fairly okay.  I will admit that it's pretty difficult to even out the color, in spite of the fact that the process is fairly accurate because of the nice applicator.  It's also not terribly long-lasting.  I found myself needing to reapply periodically to make sure that the color was as bright as it looked when I put it on last.  I also wish the color went for a more purple kind of violet.  This color is nice enough and I like that it's blue-based, but I don't think it was really the product to use to suit my needs.

I think what it comes down to is that I'm not much of a gloss person.  I can definitely see why other people enjoy this product.  Also, the packaging is cute!  I just don't think it suits my makeup lifestyle, is all.






No comments:

Post a Comment